What does Self Love mean?
According to an article entitled Self-Love and What It Means by the Brain and Behaviour Research Foundation, self-love can mean different things to different people. However, it is “a state of appreciation for oneself that grows from actions that support our physical, psychological and spiritual growth.” It is about regarding your well-being and happiness as an important priority. It is not settling for less or neglecting your needs constantly for the sake of others. This may sound selfish to some, but self-love is a necessity for maintaining optimal health. Read the article linked above for more details.
Why is Self Love important?
Self-Love is important because it influences every aspect of our life. How you feel about yourself dictates the way you live your life and the choices you make. It influences your interactions with others, how you present yourself, how you cope with problems, your performance, your confidence, your choice of a mate or friends, what you consume: food, drink, media and so much more.
Benefits of Self-Love
How do you develop Self Love?
Developing self-love is a work in progress for most of us. It is not a simple one hour fix that we can get at the hair salon, out shopping or spending time with loved ones. These activities make us feel good, for a time, and you should not remove them from your life, but self-love is a much deeper process. It requires time, patience, forgiveness, mindfulness, understanding of your needs, establishing boundaries and good practices, support and purpose. Listed below are some practices or habits you can include in your life to develop your self-love.
Examples of Self Love
- Using loving and positive self-talk
- Being authentic with yourself
- Keeping promises to yourself: building integrity
- Forgiving yourself for mistakes and falling short of your goals or promises
- Setting healthy boundaries with others; learn to say no
- Appreciate your mind and body
- Listening to your body’s needs
- Move your body
- Eating healthy foods that nourish, sustain and bring enjoyment
- Taking time for yourselves to rejuvenate, relax and declutter your mind
- Allowing time for self-care practices
- Paying attention to your triggers and what they are teaching you about yourself
- Allocating time and resources to heal past and present traumas
- Practising mindfulness
- Surround yourself with people that love and support you
- Remove persons or lessen your interactions with persons that align with your path or uplifts you
- Embrace your differences and appreciate your uniqueness
- Recognise and celebrate the smallest of wins
- Be patient and kind to yourself
- Live intentionally
As you can see, there are many ways to express self-love. Try some out and find what works for you. What actions can you take today to love yourself? The most significant and enduring relationship we all have is with ourselves. Do you want to be your best friend or your worst critic? We create and write the stories of our lives. Change your perception, rewrite those dialogues and thrive for being an outstanding friend to yourself.
Thank you for reading.