What is a Personal Mission Statement?
This is a written declaration that incorporates your values and states your purpose in life. It guides your way of life and defines who you are as a person. It should include what you like to do, how you do things and the reason you want to succeed.
Why have a mission statement?
It acts as a framework for living your life. It helps you align your thoughts and actions with your values. It keeps you focused and motivated. It allows you to live a purposeful life.
How to write your Personal Mission Statement?
To write your mission statement, you have to first understand who you are. Consider these questions before writing your statement.
- How do you operate? What are your personality traits? To help you identify your traits, consider where you fall in the Big Five Personality Traits continuum:
This will help you determine your personality type as denoted by Myer-Briggs.
- Know your values; what are the things important to you?
- What are your interests and passions? What do you like doing? What captivates you?
- What are your strengths, talents, and skills? What are you good at?
- After you have considered the questions above, you can draft your mission. Consider the following questions to guide you:
- What problems do you care about?
- What injustices do you want to correct?
- How do you want to be of service to others?
- What legacy do you want to leave? How do you want to be remembered?
How to use your Personal Mission Statement?
- Say, write or review it daily.
- Make it concise, memorable and actionable.
- Reflect and reevaluate when needed.
- Let it guide your daily decisions and actions.
Thank you for reading.