What is motivation?
Motivation is “the process that initiates, guides, and maintains goal-oriented behaviours. It involves the biological, emotional, social, and cognitive forces that activate behaviour. It is the process of stimulating people to actions to accomplish their goals.”https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-motivation-2795378
Why is understanding motivation important?
Being motivated helps us to go after the things we want in life. Understanding motivation and the different ways of motivating persons gives us insight into human actions. It can provide a clearer image of how to encourage persons to perform better and increase productivity in the workplace, as well as achieve personal goals.
Tips for staying motivated
- Set and write out your goals: take a moment for yourself, clear your mind of distractions and note down the vision you have for yourself. Make sure it is your goal and not something thrust upon you by others, or else it will be harder to stay motivated to accomplish them.
- Understand your why: you have to know the reason behind the goals you set. Why do you desire that result? Understanding this will make it easier to stay motivated especially in times of stress or hardship.
- Break down your goals into smaller tasks: having that big vision in mind can be very daunting, try breaking it into smaller more manageable tasks. You will feel more inclined to start and complete these tasks.
- Develop a step by step plan or strategy: how are you going to achieve your goal and navigate around obstacles? What is the time frame for achieving each task? How will you deal with setbacks? Remember a plan is a guideline, not an unbreakable law, so be prepared to alter or leave it behind if it is not working out.
- Begin with the end in mind: visualise the results and work backwards from there to achieve the desired goals.
- Find the fun: this is your dream, it should be enjoyable. However, performing mundane tasks are part of the process so get creative and make it fun.
- Track and recognise your progress: you need to have a clear idea of the end result to track and recognise how far you have come. Use whatever tracking method is best for you to this and reflect on your progress as you complete each task.
- Reward yourself: what is the point of doing all that hard work without giving yourself the recognition you deserve. It is important to celebrate your minor accomplishments along the way to your big goal.
- Create a supportive circle: surround yourself with like-minded people that can help push you forward and provide assistance when needed. Everyone needs help and encouragement on their journey.
- Establish ways to deal with demotivation: there will be times when you do not feel like moving and getting off your comfy couch to perform that next task. This is normal, we all go through high and low points in life. The key is knowing how to get back to your high point.
- Stop worrying and stay positive: they are many things in life that we can not control but we can control how we react to those things. Focus on the parts of your life that is in your control or that you can influence, such as your mindset and attitude.
Thank you for reading my post. Hope it provides you with useful tips that you can implement in your life to stay motivated.
Recommended Post Reads