Many of us are now working from home or staying at home as a result of the pandemic that has taken the world by storm. As a result we have all had to make changes in our lives that have disturbed our sense of stability and security.
There are many things in this world that we can not control as uncertainty and change is a natural part of life. However we can direct our thoughts, emotions and behaviours. Today I would like to help you bring a lil bit of control into your daily lives by sharing some habits that you can incorporate into your days so that you can create a productive routine.
A good morning routine begins with a good evening routine since what you do the evening before affects the start of the next day. As such I will begin by discussing habits to include in your evening then morning routine. Starting and ending your days on your terms is a great way to invoke a sense of accomplish into your life.
Evening Routine Habits to Try
- Try the 10- 3- 2 -1 – 0 formula
- 10 hours before bed, stop consuming caffeine
- 3 hours before bed, stop consuming alcohol
- 2 hours before bed, stop working
- 1 hour before bed, turn off all screens
- 0 is the number of times you’ll hit the snooze button
- Set a time to end your work day especially those working from home.
- Cook a tasty, nutritious dinner for yourself and family.
- Prepare breakfast for the next day. Meal prep lunch & dinner.
- Wash the dishes after eating.
- Plan your outfit for the next day.
- Allocate time for family and leisure.
- Take a relaxing shower or bath or try cold therapy and don’t forget skincare.
- Spend a few minutes writing down your top goals and rewrite them every night to keep them fresh in your mind.
- Make a list of things you are excited for, for the next day.
- Get out your calendar, notebook or notes app and plan your day so you know exactly what you have to get done when you get up or plan at the beginning of the week and review nightly. Try 7×7 grid week planner.
- Readers try reading a biography for 30 mins instead, it will inspire you and engage your mind in someone’s story without stimulating your brain with self-improvement ideas that keep you up at night.
- Try Viparita Karani or Legs Up the Wall, a yoga pose great for improving circulation, providing relief for lower back, legs or feet pain and to help relax the body.
- Journal: spend time each night reflecting on the day, your achievements, challenges, thoughts and emotions. Take this time to brain dump and let go of things that could keep you up at night.
- Meditation: try a guided sleep meditation or listening to binaural beats to induce delta sleep waves.
- Diffuse essential oils such as lavender to promote sleep.
I must say this post turned out completely different than what I intended but it’s all good. Originally I was planning to cover both evening and morning routines in however I like the idea of splitting it up more. After all I think you have enough reading material and habits to try out for the evening. Hope this was an informative and helpful read. Look out for the follow up post on Morning Routines on Thursday.
Thank you for reading.
Love generously, Inspire daily, Learn constantly